Welcome to episode 15 of the travelling wellness show
On today’s show I’m in Margaret River and hanging out the man that many label as the best athlete EVER. Kelly Slater
If you’re a girl, there’s a strong probability that you’ve had a crush on Kelly since the 7th grade, where his name was written on your pencil case & his baby face & crystal blue eyes hung proudly over your bed. And if you’re a guy with an interest in the ocean, there’s a 100% chance that Kelly has inspired your journey with his futuristic style & flair for innovation both in & out of the water.
If you’re neither, but simply a fan of sport, you’ll be hard pressed to name an athlete that even comes close.
King Kelly IS all that. Inspired by his craft he has dominated the world stage in a sport where mastery is far & few between.
But behind the enigma that is Kelly Slater lies a warm and sensitive soul who craves connection. Like us all, Kelly battles his own demons & seeks to make sense of it all in a world that he describes as too fast.
In this podcast I explore the man behind the brand, and open Kelly up in ways that most have never heard. His authentic transparency & willingness to share with us all is a gift that I never expected, and when the stop button was pushed, it didn’t finish there. What I can say is that in the hours I spent with Kelly, he revealed a level of normalacy & genuine decency that I would only expect from a best friend.
To you Kelly, thank you.
We explore in detail,
- Kelly's early years, and the challenging family dynamics which have shaped the man he has become
- Diet; then and now. From the bottom of the Cheerios box to his chia seed ambassadorship.
- Global sustainability and ocean ecology, including the comment on Shark culling which resulted in death threats.
- The pros and cons of life in the public eye
- Kelly's brands, including Outerknown and the now infamous KS Waveco. which is changing the future direction of surfing as we know it.
- Kelly's relationship with long term brand sponsor Quiksilver, and the factors which led to the split.
- His other love; Golf
- The book that changed Kelly's life
- Life regrets
- Road trips with Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam (Kelly even sings a few notes!)
- Kelly's favourite waves
- How he conquered his fear of drowning
- Kelly's advice to his younger self
-And so much more!
Today’s show is proudly brought to you by PSE Cell Charge; the world’s most potent organically sourced fulvic mineral concentrate. If you only take one supplement, make Cell Charge your choice. For more information visit cellcharge.com.au
This episode is a lengthy one guys so get comfy, get hydrated and enjoy the show.